Families residing within the state of New York should know the following about New York online school requirements:
- Your children are eligible to attend International Virtual Learning Academy (IVLA) to obtain their education and high school diploma.
- The state of New York does not recognize online schools that are not located within the state of New York as “traditional” schools.
- New York based students that are enrolled in an online school that is NOT located within the state of New York are classified as “home schooled” and must follow New York state home-schooling laws.
- IVLA is, and has been, the online school for many New York based families and students.
- IVLA’s extensive experience with New York based families and students has given IVLA a thorough understanding of the requirements of New York’s homeschooling laws.
New York Online School Requirements & Process:
Contact your local school board and/or school to both withdraw your child from school and request the required documents for home schooling. Upon withdrawing your child from school, you will then have four (4) weeks to complete these documents and submit them to your school district.
Begin IVLA’s application process and the selection of courses that meet the requirements of your state. You can find your course requirements here:
IVLA will provide both the tools and support needed to obtain the syllabi and any required reports. Note that you are required to complete and sign the documents provided to you by your district. Also, note that IVLA cannot deliver these documents to the appropriate agency on your behalf.
Decide on either in-home or public-school annual assessments, which are required at the end of each school year. These annual tests must be arranged by the student’s guardian as IVLA does not provide annual end of year assessments. You can learn more here: